SfEP category: Advanced Professional
Address: 90 Main Street, ABERDOUR, KY3 0UH
Email: email@example.com or
Phone: 01383 860001; mobile: 0790 523 9781
Website: Winskill Editorial
Fiction, non-fiction and other editorial services, plus training.
Does your book need some professional TLC to get it ready for publication, for either self-publishing or by traditional means? Look no further! A trained editor with nearly 25 years of experience across fiction, children’s fiction and non-fiction, I offer various services to enable you to present your work to its best advantage, to your chosen audience.
Take a look at my website (www.winskilleditorial.co.uk) for more details, or drop me an email. All questions and projects considered.
For all work, my level of input is entirely up to you and based on what you feel your text requires.
- Structural/developmental editing: looks at the fundamental aspects of a book – characterisation, narrative flow, pace, plot structure, tension, drama, and so on – and offers advice on how to improve and/or deal with any issues within the text.
- Copy/line-editing: looks at everything from punctuation, grammar, spelling and consistency to basic plot progression and characterisation.
- Critiques: an impartial, constructive overview of your text, highlighting areas for improvement and suggesting ways to address any problems. For whole manuscript or opening chapters.
- Proofreading: makes sure that your text is free from punctuation, spelling, grammar or consistency errors.
- Awards: Novels that I have edited include: winner of Best Indie Book Awards (horror category); winner of the First Novel (>80,000 words category), Next Generation Indie Book Awards; two winners of the Scottish Children’s Book Awards, and one shortlisted title; three winners of the Kelpies Prize; and two nominations for the Branford Boase Award.
- Genres: mystery, thrillers, fantasy, adventure, literary, horror, historical, romance, crime, and others. Please ask for further details.
- Non-fiction: Copy/line-editing and proofreading services as above, but more detailed editing also checks content, flow, references, adherence to specific guidelines and illustrations.
- Biography, philosophy, architecture, classics, history, art, design, memoir, cookery, travel, education, and many other subjects, works in translation. Please ask for further details.
- Academic/other: Children’s picture books, academic journal articles, dissertations, theses, non-native English and blog texts.
- Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP).
- Ex-director of Publishing Scotland (2012–2014).
- Nearly 25 years’ experience, both in-house and freelance, in the UK and Hong Kong.
- I have proofread, edited, project-managed and critiqued a wide variety of books, for both independent writers and traditional publishing houses, and including authors such as JK Rowling, Nicola Morgan, Dr Phil Hammond, and John Humphreys.
- Project-managed and contributed to the SfEP’s Introduction to Fiction Editing online course.
- I have written and presented various training workshops and seminars on fiction editing and other subjects (see below).
- Proofreading mentor for the SfEP.
‘The help and advice provided by Gale Winskill, of Winskill Editorial, were invaluable. In many places the changes she suggested were small but they improved my book dramatically and in ways I could never have done on my own.’ (Colin M. Drysdale, independent, prize-winning author)
‘Gale is an editor who really goes the extra mile. She knocked us into shape with the first book in our series, and has been an integral part of the following eight books …We’re always amazed at how reasonable her fee is, given the service she provides.’ (Lyn McNicol & Laura Cameron Jackson, The Lunicorn Press, www.badgerthemysticalmutt.com)
‘I was immediately impressed with her warm and positive disposition, which she combines with complete pragmatism about the publishing industry and obviously long experience as an editor and project manager … And I find myself quoting what she said about the editorial process still.’ (Dr Alison Baverstock, Course Leader, MA Publishing, Kingston University, and author)
‘Gale’s brilliant advice and assistance was invaluable in getting my novel into print. A truly remarkable service, I cannot recommend Gale enough.’ (Cyrus Chainey, independent author)
‘I first came into contact with Gale when she edited two books I had written, which were published by Black & White Publishing. I was so impressed by her helpfulness and professionalism that when I self-published another book, I didn’t hesitate to make contact, and received the same very high standard of service.’ (Philip Paris, author)
‘Gale is an excellent editor who has proven that she can spot a potential best-seller. She has a good eye for detail and offers sound advice to her authors.’ (Lucy Juckes, literary agent)
‘Gale has a wonderful ability to polish a writer’s prose without changing its creative shape. She’s a brilliant editor in the true meaning of the word brilliant.’ (Sonja Lewis, author)
‘Gale Winskill provides us with an excellent and reliable service: accurate and insightful proofreading with exceptional attention to detail. A very safe pair of hands that we know we can trust with our most important projects.’ (Emma Langley, Phoenix Yard Books)
‘Gale did a helpful and comprehensive critique on one of our recent projects which needed the input of an experienced fiction editor.’ (Penny Grearson, Waverley Books)
Please see my website (www.winskilleditorial.co.uk) for more detailed information.