CIEP category: Advanced Professional
Address: 90 Main Street, ABERDOUR, KY3 0UH
Email: email@example.com or
Phone: 01383 860001; mobile: 0790 523 9781
Website: Winskill Editorial
Fiction, non-fiction and other editorial services, plus training.
Does your book need some professional TLC to get it ready for publication, for either self-publishing or by traditional means? Look no further! A trained editor with nearly 25 years of experience across fiction, children’s fiction and non-fiction, I offer various services to enable you to present your work to its best advantage, to your chosen audience.
Take a look at my website (www.winskilleditorial.co.uk) for more details, or drop me an email. All questions and projects considered.
For all work, my level of input is entirely up to you and based on what you feel your text requires.
- Structural/developmental editing: looks at the fundamental aspects of a book – characterisation, narrative flow, pace, plot structure, tension, drama, and so on – and offers advice on how to improve and/or deal with any issues within the text.
- Copy/line-editing: looks at everything from punctuation, grammar, spelling and consistency to basic plot progression and characterisation.
- Critiques: an impartial, constructive overview of your text, highlighting areas for improvement and suggesting ways to address any problems. For whole manuscript or opening chapters.
- Proofreading: makes sure that your text is free from punctuation, spelling, grammar or consistency errors.
- Awards: Novels that I have edited include: winner of Best Indie Book Awards (horror category); winner of the First Novel (>80,000 words category), Next Generation Indie Book Awards; two winners of the Scottish Children’s Book Awards, and one shortlisted title; three winners of the Kelpies Prize; and two nominations for the Branford Boase Award.
- Genres: mystery, thrillers, fantasy, adventure, literary, horror, historical, romance, crime, and others. Please ask for further details.
- Non-fiction: Copy/line-editing and proofreading services as above, but more detailed editing also checks content, flow, references, adherence to specific guidelines and illustrations.
- Biography, philosophy, architecture, classics, history, art, design, memoir, cookery, travel, education, and many other subjects, works in translation. Please ask for further details.
- Other: Children’s picture books, non-native English and blog texts.
- Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP).
- Nearly 25 years’ experience, both in-house and freelance, in the UK and Hong Kong.
- Tutor, Writing Fiction, HarperCollins Author Academy
- Partner, Page Turners Awards
- Tutor, CIEP’s Introduction to Fiction Editing online course.
- Proofreading mentor for the CIEP.
- Project-managed and contributed to the CIEP’s Introduction to Fiction Editing online course.
- Ex-director of Publishing Scotland (2012–2014).
- I have written and presented various training workshops and seminars on fiction editing and other subjects (see below).
‘Gale is such a joy to work with, and I always look forward to giving her one of our manuscripts. When I give Gale one of our books I know it’s in good hands and together we have had a couple of chart-hitters at HarperCollins! What I most appreciate about Gale’s approach to editing is her ability to ask the questions on a manuscript that most editors and proofreaders will not ask. She has an incredible eye for detail when it comes to the context and presentation of a written piece of work, but most importantly she has the audience in mind and can cross over well from a fiction work and then tackle a non-fiction one just as easily. I really value Gale’s insight when it comes to the nuances of language and style, and her incredible and joyful sense of humour.’ (Rose Sandy, Affiliate Publisher, Harper Inspire, HarperCollins UK)
‘Gale’s focus and accuracy are outstanding. Her contribution to our publication provided the professional polish we sought and more. Her patient and painstaking proofread helped us to publish a complex, fully illustrated, high-quality book with complete confidence. The result speaks for itself.’ (Alan Boyle, Leannta Associates)
‘For prospective fiction writers, Gale combines an unerring eye for grammatical detail with the ability to offer perceptive critiques covering plot, structure, characters, pacing and all the other vital elements. She is also quick to respond, clear in the way she communicates and very tolerant of follow-up questions.’ (Stephen Gardner, author)
‘She is very personable, putting you at your ease: an important point in building a working relationship between author and editor. She is a highly skilled communicator, getting her points over objectively and succinctly.’ (Jenny Hogan, Writers’ Neuk)
‘Gale worked on two of my books, The Storytelling Entrepreneur and Merchandise for Authors, while I was Writer in Residence for the British Library. I had very tight deadlines which Gale was great about meeting and I really valued her feedback and professional eye on my work. Her insight allowed me to think more clearly about how the books were structured and improved my writing overall. I always recommend Gale when I run creative writing workshops for other writers.’ (Melissa Addey, author)
‘I’ve read your critique. It is what I wanted and needed … I much appreciate the time and serious attention and thought you’ve given to my draft, the well-structured way you’ve done it and your tone – that your advice (wise words borne from your intelligence and experience) isn’t the last word, but for me to consider. Whether or not, in the end, my book is a commercial proposition, your involvement will have made it better. Most helpfully, where you have pointed up problems, you have offered solutions. And the contextualization of your thoughts, within your meta-analyses of fiction and including reviewing criteria, is appreciated. I feel I have received great value for money from you.’ (Jeff Probst, author)
‘The help and advice provided by Gale Winskill, of Winskill Editorial, were invaluable. In many places the changes she suggested were small but they improved my book dramatically and in ways I could never have done on my own.’ (Colin M. Drysdale, independent, prize-winning author)
‘I was immediately impressed with her warm and positive disposition, which she combines with complete pragmatism about the publishing industry and obviously long experience as an editor and project manager … And I find myself quoting what she said about the editorial process still.’ (Dr Alison Baverstock, Course Leader, MA Publishing, Kingston University, and author)
‘I first came into contact with Gale when she edited two books I had written, which were published by Black & White Publishing. I was so impressed by her helpfulness and professionalism that when I self-published another book, I didn’t hesitate to make contact, and received the same very high standard of service.’ (Philip Paris, author)
‘Gale is an excellent editor who has proven that she can spot a potential best-seller. She has a good eye for detail and offers sound advice to her authors.’ (Lucy Juckes, literary agent)
‘Gale has a wonderful ability to polish a writer’s prose without changing its creative shape. She’s a brilliant editor in the true meaning of the word brilliant.’ (Sonja Lewis, author)
‘Gale Winskill provides us with an excellent and reliable service: accurate and insightful proofreading with exceptional attention to detail. A very safe pair of hands that we know we can trust with our most important projects.’ (Emma Langley, Phoenix Yard Books)
‘Gale did a helpful and comprehensive critique on one of our recent projects which needed the input of an experienced fiction editor.’ (Penny Grearson, Waverley Books)
Please see my website (www.winskilleditorial.co.uk) for more detailed information.